Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Do I Enjoy Reading and Writing?

I have pondered whether or not I enjoy reading for many years ever since I started school and I finally have come to a conclusion. I take joy from reading when the novel is interesting and contains many plot changes.

I am a huge Harry Potter fan and have read every book that has come out on the day it was released. That is no easy task considering they are each 600 to 700 pages long. Although I take interest in reading certain books, when I am forced to read a book that is boring and contains literature to be interpreted the case completely changes. Do not get me wrong, there are many school books that I get captured by such as The Catcher in the Rye or The Great Gatsby. The problem is that once in a while I run into a book that I end up reading without enthusiasm and writing an equally unenthusiastic essay about it. I am being completely honest, not every book is interesting, but when they are it is an enthralling experience.

As I have grown up, I believe I have become a solid reader and am able to absorb the bulk of what I look down at in paper. When it comes to writing; however, I am convinced I struggle a bit more. I like to write because it is a nice feeling when someone looks at your paper and says something positive about it. Writing helps characterize what kind of person someone is. The word choice, sentence structure, and grammatical usage, if used well, can blend together to create an intellectual image of a person. I also take interest in writing because it is a form of expressing feeling towards a strong subject. Sometimes writing is the best way to do that.

I really like reading and writing when it is a book or topic that is personally interesting to me. When there is no passion or interest used in any activity in life, there is no way the end result will be worth looking at. (346)

1 comment:

LCC said...

Steven,
Thanks for an honest and informative letter. I finally have a feed from your blog to my account, so I received both of your pieces at the same time.

From what I know of you, I'm not surprised by the enjoyment you find in Harry Potter or Holden Caulfield, although I'll confess a little surprise about Gatsby, since other than a disastrous car ride and a shooting, that novel is more about internal conflicts like trying to obliterate the past and re-create oneself in a new identity. Don't get me wrong--I'm pleased, just a little surprised.

LCC